We may receive commissions for affiliate links included in this article. This is a sponsored post. Future Sharks makes no warranties about the statements, facts and/or claims made on this article. These are the opinions of the author. Read our advertising and contributor disclosure here.
Proctoring is now becoming an important part of every educational institution. It is a way to conduct online exams in a secure and cheating free manner. In the time of the pandemic, almost every educational institution has adopted e-learning platform. But with this, the need for conducting secure exams was felt. So proctoring software is the way. They help to conduct a timed exam with proper invigilation. They make use of certain devices such as mic, camera and similar other to keep a check on the test givers environment and ensure that there are no discrepancies. This software can be customised as per the needs and the requirements. The software not only helps in invigilation but also can generate the complete analysis report at the end of the exam. The proctor i.e. the person or the invigilator can keep the eye on the student even from the remote area.
The proctoring service providers have well integrated it with the learning management system to make its use much easier. It also provides proctor Google chrome extension for moodle, canvas and others. One can go for either AI-based proctoring or manual proctoring. Both the examiner and candidate can get a seamless experience while using such software. Here are some of the tips that one must keep in mind to ensure the best proctoring software experience.
- Easy to setup: Using the software may not seem to be an easy task. It may require certain technical skills and knowledge. The software must be such that it is understandable and can be easily used by the person directly related to it. They might have to be given certain training to make them familiar to the software. But certain service providers provide easy and powerful software plug-in that is compatible with most of the learning management systems. These are very easy to install, having just a single click setup. So one should go for such software as this makes working much easier.
- Comprehensive usage: The proctoring software must be compatible with the institution’s LMS. The institution should look for the software that has all the features inbuilt and they do not have to look for different software for different purposes. It should enable educational institutions to conduct various types of online examinations even from the remote area across different geographies. The test giver such also feels comfortable while using such software. They should have the choice to appear for the online examination from any place of their comfort. Certain software also has various other features that provide a unique experience to examiner and examinee. This software can reduce the chance of cheating by 95%. The chances of errors are also reduced significantly. They should help in all end to end services from organising and conducting the exam to generating an in-depth analysis of the report of the candidate. So it becomes necessary to choose the software that provides comprehensive coverage to your needs.
- Scalability and Use: While determining the kind of software required, it is important to check its scalability. Though the best of the software may at times be that much compatible for use amongst a large number of students. Different educational institutions may have different exam requirements depending upon the number of students enrolled with them and appearing for the exam at a particular point of time. So the institutions must confirm how scalable the software is to get the best out of it.
- Customisation facility: Every institution may have its way of teaching and conducting exams. They may conduct exams in different ways and manner. So the software has to be customised according to the needs and requirement. This may vary as educational institutions might want to go for AI-based proctoring or human-based proctoring. They can conduct different types of exams. This can be MCQ type, objective or subjective type or essay type. So institutions must always look for the customisations options available to them before choosing any proctoring software.
- The cost involved: Use of new technology and software may require a large amount of investment so such things should be selected after proper research. The software should be comprehensive, scalable and could be customised when required. It should also be cost-efficient. It is good to invest one time in any such software that provides to all end to end services instead of certain cheap software that does not provide all services. Just make sure the cost of software is justified by the benefits derived from it.
- Technical support team and services: Since everyone is new to this technology, one may need effective and efficient support services to run the software. The service provider should have such support services that should be available at all times whenever the need arises. This will also ensure the smooth and efficient use of the software.
- Best proctoring features: The educational institution should select the software with the best of features. It should be compatible with the institutions LMS. They must verify the candidate’s identity before the start of the exam. Some service providers have 3-point authentication mechanism including photo, ID and quick OTP verification. They also have safe browsing methods that block the entire candidate’s browser while they are appearing for the exam. All the external ports are automatically disabled to ensure the cheating free exam. They can also choose from amongst the AI-based or human proctoring. So look for the software that provides you with all such features in software so you don’t have to look for different software.
Proctoring services are becoming an integral part of the education system with time. Institutions have already started looking for the best software for them. These are some of the tips that one may keep in mind while choosing the best proctoring services for them. They must look for the software that has best-inbuilt features, excellent proctors, exceptional operational support, scalable, continuous technical support, has customisation options and are cost-effective. Remotely conducted exams are the future of online exams so the institutions should select exceptionally good software to get the best out of it. It should be such that stands out amongst all other software.