Recently, I had the pleasure of sitting down with Credit Coach and Consultant Jeff Sekinger. Jeff and I talked about credit, entrepreneurship, and mindset.
– Hey Jeff, how old are you, where are you from, and what do you do?
Jeff Sekinger: I am 25 and from Columbus, Ohio. I am a financial consultant for individuals and entrepreneurs, helping them leverage credit and other financial products to accelerate the growth in their businesses and lifestyles.
– Did you go to college? Do you recommend college for entrepreneurs?
Jeff Sekinger: Yes I did. I graduated and got my “dream job” in the corporate world. I would not recommend it about 90% of the time. If the individual has college completely paid for and chooses a school to learn entrepreneurship, while spending his/her extra time building a business I would recommend it.
– What motivated you to be an entrepreneur?
Jeff Sekinger: When I realized I had massive goals for myself and the corporate world would never get me there. Also, coming to the realization that over 60% of our lives are spent at work, so doing something I was not excited about was no longer an option.
– What does your company do?
Jeff Sekinger: We have three online courses that help individuals leverage personal and business credit while building a stronger financial foundation to reach financial independence much quicker. We also have 1 on 1 coaching to help individuals with every aspect of personal finance; debt, saving, investing and income. The goal is to get our clients to the point where their passive income exceeds their expenses so they can live the lives they truly desire.
– What’s 3 Tips for someone building their credit from scratch?
1. Have a family or friend with a long positive credit history add you onto a credit account as an authorized user.
2. Keep a perfect payment history by paying your cards before every statement. If you have late payments you can dispute them through CFPB.gov.
3. Get new credit cards every 2 months, as you need more than 21 accounts to have a perfect score.
– How have you leveraged Personal Branding?
Jeff Sekinger: I read Gary Vaynerchuk’s book called Crush It. It changed my life. I went full send on personal branding and have built a business that does $100,000/month in just 6 months time. Personal branding is responsible for everything I have right now, most importantly the connections I have made.
– What are your 3 core principles?
Jeff Sekinger: Trust your gut. Your instincts are more powerful than all conventional wisdom combined. Give whatever you are doing 100% of your effort, AKA full send. Think long-term. Life is short, but it is also long. Start acting like it and put in the work to build a better future.
– What would you tell an aspiring entrepreneur in high school right now?
Jeff Sekinger: Do whatever you have to do to get around mentors that are EXACTLY where you want to be in life, focus on your personal development by putting yourself in uncomfortable situations often and build a business around something that makes you excited.
– What are your future plans?
Jeff Sekinger: I am currently in the process of building my first investment fund. We are going to manage money across various assets such as stocks, cryptocurrency, real estate and e-commerce. I am very excited to start it, as I have some brilliant traders I am bringing onto the team here shortly. Over the course of my lifetime, I am going to help 100,000 people reach financial independence, so I am most excited about the impact myself and my businesses will have on a mass scale.