The United States – Department of Education released a “Parent and Family Digital Learning Guide” to improve parents’ involvement in their child’s education. It can lead to better learning results as the guardians monitor their children’s progress.
According to the office’s official website, the resource materials aim to inform the parents, caregivers, and guardians on how digital tools and technology can enhance learning opportunities.
“This guide provides resources to help you fulfill that responsibility. While having multiple options for access, devices, internet connectivity, and digital tools is the ideal, it is not the reality for everyone. This guide focuses on empowering you with information and resources to improve your child’s opportunity for successful and safe digital learning.”U.S. Department of Education
To take full advantage of the resource commodities, the department clarified that learning should be flexible and adapting to their skills. Educational technology can tailor a student’s personalized learning.
By doing so, the administration recommended ways of utilizing technology for customization. Here are the following methods for digital tools effectiveness:
- Digital tools have provided schooling options for the students: whole-class interactions, small groups, or individuals. The preferred learning environment must appeal to the learner’s needs and preferences.
- Sources of information are accessible on various digital platforms. It means that students can conduct online explorations in action to their curiosity and self-simulation.
- While technology helps the students analyze complex issues, they can keep a personal record or data to track individual progress.
- Unlike the traditional classroom setup, online learning could offer fast a real-time assessment in providing learning progress.
- Assistive technology would provide learning necessities for students with special needs. It offers various means of interactive content for beneficial support.
It was mentioned that a student’s demonstration of what they’ve learned varies on multiple means and self-expression. The Department of Education also added that a child’s personalized learning method might also be discussed with the student’s Individualized Education Program (IEP).
“Children may be able to show what they have learned through illustration better than following conventions of text on pages and margins. With the right tools and appropriate accommodations throughout the learning process, all students can have multiple means of accessing content and demonstrating content mastery.”Department of Education
Meanwhile, a competency-based method emphasizes flexible learning conducted in different spaces. The students can be independent and work at their own pace in education and develop a new skill set.